Based in New York, NY
DescriptionGauntlet meets NBA Jam in Crystal Brawl, a 2v2 capture-the-flag local multiplayer game that melds fast action with MOBA-like strategy. Choose from a roster of varied characters with different abilities, with a notable twist: each character has a unique ability that alters the terrain. Experiment with different character combinations to uncover hidden strategies!
HistoryCrystal Brawl was born out of a week-long game jam (weekjam!) with the aim of creating a hybrid between a local multiplayer sports game and a strategy game for arcade settings. We worked out of apartments, after-hours workplaces and coffee shops for a week straight, and when it was all over, we ended up with a surprisingly fun prototype that clearly had potential.
- Each character manipulates the battlefield in a unique way to keep gameplay dynamic.
- Accessible, yet deep gameplay is a perfect fit for eSports fans and casual players alike.
- Distinctive art style appeals to retro gamers while standing out from the pack.
Gameplay Trailer YouTube
Awards & Recognition
- "Showcase Selection" Indie Games Live at PAX East, March 2015
- "MAGFest Arcade (as part of Death By Audio Arcade)" MAGFest, January 2015
- "Indie Arcade Selection (as part of Death By Audio Arcade)" Smithsonian American Art Museum, December 2014
- "Editor's Choice, Best in Class (as part of Death By Audio Arcade)" Maker Faire, September 2014
- "Digital Showcase Selection" Boston Festival of Indie Games, September 2014
- "Arcade Showcase Selection" LWLVL (Low Level) Festival, August 2014
- "MAGFest Indie Videogame Showcase Selection" MAGFest, January 2014
- "Digital Showcase Selection" Boston Festival of Indie Games, September 2013
- "Towerfall and Samurai Gunn touched off a wave of arena multiplayer games. I've played a number, and Crystal Brawl stands out as one of the best.
- Mike Futter, Game Informer
- "Crystal Brawl takes the very basic nature of competitive games...and bundles it in a cartoony, colorful wrapper that makes it a quirky derivative from the basic sports game formula."
- Alexa Ray Corriea, Polygon
- "I did not want to put this one down."
- Matt Albrecht, Indie Statik
- "Crystal Brawl is, after playing only a few short rounds, the game I look forward to most."
- Ari Notis, The G.A.M.E.S. Blog
- "BFIG: The Digital Games Showcase Megapost"
- Rowan, 2nd Opinion Productions
Request Press Copy
Please fill in your e-mail address below and we'll get back to you as soon as a press copy is available for you.
Alternatively, you can always request a press copy by sending us a quick email.
About Studio Mercato
Studio Mercato is an independent game studio based in New York City.
More information on Studio Mercato, our logo & relevant media are available here.
Crystal Brawl Credits
Josh Raab, Ben Serviss, Chris Hernandez
Jon Stokes, Rahil Patel, Josh Raab, Chris Hernandez, Shuichi Aizawa
Sound Design and Music